Wednesday 27 April 2011

Hockey Luvin' Homo

Oh joy, the Canucks have advanced to the next round of the playoffs. Can I tell you a secret? I was hoping that they would lose in game 7 and I would have successfully avoided their entire playoff run. I realize this is probably not a popular opinion - but I live two minutes from the arena and the people shouting and horns honking is more than I can stand. It was manageable during the Olympics...but that was an entire country coming together for two weeks. This could go on much longer, and that makes me nervous.

I have a few issues with pro hockey. I may not be an expert, but here it goes. First of all - I think they get paid way too much. Amazing that they get to do what they love for a living, but as someone who tries to do what he loves for a living and usually has to do it for free, I think it sucks. I was so hopeful when they announced plans for a salary cap, but there are still players who make 10 million dollars a year. Why should I have to work an extra job when some of these guys get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a game? It's not fair.

I also hate when crazy fans decide to attack (verbally or physically) someone who supports another team. Let's think about this like adults here for a minute - I understand cheering for the team in your hometown, but how many players on the Vancouver team are actually from Vancouver? Maybe three? Are the fans even from Vancouver? It just doesn't make sense. I think players on teams in the NHL should have to be from the province/state/area that they play for - and I don't just think this because it would give Canadian teams a huge advantage. It would keep teams from buying the 'best' players and it would force them to cultivate talent locally - they could put that extra money into minor hockey leagues in the community.

Seriously - unless you are on the team, or you trained a member of the team, or you have a close relative on the team - it really doesn't matter if they win or not. Why people create such a personal relationship with a team boggles my mind. At the end of the day it is just a game. Of course you want them to play well, you want them to win...but whether they win or lose isn't really that important in the grand scheme of things. It shouldn't have a huge effect on your daily life. Don't place too much stock in things that you cannot control, because 9 times out of 10, you will be disappointed.



If my family ever reads this, I will be disowned. I am not a hockey luvin' homo.

-BO

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brett! You are not the only person who wishes the Canucks had lost last night! It's very difficult to survive in the city and not cheer for the Canucks. I feel like they don't understand what it means to be a fan-just because I don't cheer for the Canucks doesn't mean I'm not passionate. I'm a social piriah because I don't cheer for the Canucks :) but at least we can be pariahs together

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's bizarre isn't it? Even in the arts community and the gay community, I can't escape hockey. Aren't these people supposed to be more civilized?

    It has been pointed out to me that perhaps my 'relationship' with Britney Spears is the exact same as someone blindly supporting a hockey team. I'm not her relative, but I support her irrationally no matter what and I will attack anyone who says something negative about her. Her and Christina don't face off in head-to-head combat, but if they did - I know who I would be cheering for.

    ReplyDelete