Saturday 14 May 2011

Hobophobia

I sometimes forget about homophobia. Maybe it's because downtown Vancouver has more gays per capita than people, or maybe it's because I've been comfortable and secure in my own sexuality for many many years, and I try to surround myself with people who are like-minded. I genuinely think that anyone who clings to homophobia beyond the next 10 years will be seen as having an archaic point of view (if they aren't already.) It does worry me when I see comments from people in positions of power about how gay marriage is wrong and about how being gay is a choice. I want to ask these people if they feel attracted to both men and women but chose to be straight - because I know I didn't.

So anyway, I ran into my bestie Jason on the street the other day. About three seconds into our conversation we were interrupted by a (probably drunk) homeless man. He had a beard down to his nipples and was dressed in head-to-toe camouflage. He put on a high-pitched mocking tone of voice and started verbally attacking us. For example:

Homeless Man: Let's pretend to be gay and kiss each other.
BO: We're not pretending...

HM: There's so much Canadian pussy but you're not getting any of it.
BO: With that beard you're probably not getting much of it either.

HM: Bet you guys suck each other's cocks.
BO: Do you want to watch?

Which brings me to my question of the day - would I rather be gay or homeless?

No comments:

Post a Comment